Take a cue from the best!
Event industry experts reveal their industry sources, and offer advice to corporate event industry newcomers.
Ashleigh Dorfman, CSEP of posh productions, LLC
Ashleigh is a certified special events professional and owner of posh productions, LLC, an award-winning strategic event planning firm in Reston, VA, specializing in marketing events, fundraising galas, and milestone celebrations.
Here are my industry must-reads …
- The Wiley Event Management Series | by Dr. Goldblatt, CSEP
Dr. Goldblatt, CSEP was my first professor at George Washington University, and taught me the value of creating an experience at events.
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking | by Susan Cain
Hooray for the listeners at the table!
These industry Web sites keep me returning for more!
- BizBash Event planning news, ideas & resources
… inspiring ideas!
- Velvet Chainsaw | Midcourse Corrections Blog
… thought-provoking concepts and practical strategies!
Tips for those looking to excel in the events and meetings industry …
- Immerse yourself in the industry: Read Web sites, magazines, and books to get ideas, and to learn about trends and industry perspectives.
- Talk to planners and vendors, and ask lots of questions.
- Gain experience via volunteering.
- Always strive to raise the bar.
- Be a team player, and remember to say thank you!
Essential skills and characteristics for aspiring corporate event industry professionals:
- Listening – helpful when determining what a client wants
- Remaining Calm – challenges happen; its how you handle them that makes a difference
- Attention to Detail – often, small details have a huge impact